My posthumous advice for my daughter
‘Nine times out of ten, you probably aren’t having a full-on nervous breakdown – you just need a cup of tea and a biscuit’
My daughter is about to turn 13 and I’ve been smoking a lot recently, and so – in the wee small hours, when my lungs feel like there’s a small mouse inside them, scratching to get out – I’ve thought about writing her one of those “Now I’m Dead, Here’s My Letter Of Advice For You To Consult As You Continue Your Now Motherless Life” letters. Here’s the first draft. Might tweak it a bit later. When I’ve had another fag.
“Dear Lizzie. Hello, it’s Mummy. I’m dead. Sorry about that. I hope the funeral was good – did Daddy play Don’t Stop Me Now by Queen when my coffin went into the cremator? I hope everyone sang along and did air guitar, as I stipulated. And wore the stick-on Freddie Mercury moustaches, as I ordered in the ‘My Funeral Plan’ document that’s been pinned on the fridge since 2008, when I had that extremely self-pitying cold.
“Look – here are a couple of things I’ve learnt on the way that you might find useful in the coming years. It’s not an exhaustive list, but it’s a good start. Also, I’ve left you loads of life-insurance money – so go hog wild on eBay on those second-hand vintage dresses you like. You have always looked beautiful in them. You have always looked beautiful.
“The main thing is just to try to be nice. You already are – so lovely I burst, darling – and so I want you to hang on to that and never let it go. Keep slowly turning it up, like a dimmer switch, whenever you can. Just resolve to shine, constantly and steadily, like a warm lamp in the corner, and people will want to move towards you in order to feel happy, and to read things more clearly. You will be bright and constant in a world of dark and flux, and this will save you the anxiety of other, ultimately less satisfying things like ‘being cool’, ‘being more successful than everyone else’ and ‘being very thin’.
“Second, always remember that, nine times out of ten, you probably aren’t having a full-on nervous breakdown – you just need a cup of tea and a biscuit. You’d be amazed how easily and repeatedly you can confuse the two. Get a big biscuit tin.
“Three – always pick up worms off the pavement and put them on the grass. They’re having a bad day, and they’re good for… the earth or something (ask Daddy more about this; am a bit sketchy).
“Four: choose your friends because you feel most like yourself around them, because the jokes are easy and you feel like you’re in your best outfit when you’re with them, even though you’re just in a T-shirt. Never love someone whom you think you need to mend – or who makes you feel like you should be mended. There are boys out there who look for shining girls; they will stand next to you and say quiet things in your ear that only you can hear and that will slowly drain the joy out of your heart. The books about vampires are true, baby. Drive a stake through their hearts and run away.
“Stay at peace with your body. While it’s healthy, never think of it as a problem or a failure. Pat your legs occasionally and thank them for being able to run. Put your hands on your belly and enjoy how soft and warm you are – marvel over the world turning over within, the brilliant meat clockwork, as I did when you were inside me and I dreamt of you every night.
“Whenever you can’t think of something to say in a conversation, ask people questions instead. Even if you’re next to a man who collects pre-Seventies screws and bolts, you will probably never have another opportunity to find out so much about pre-Seventies screws and bolts, and you never know when it will be useful.
“This segues into the next tip: life divides into AMAZING ENJOYABLE TIMES and APPALLING EXPERIENCES THAT WILL MAKE FUTURE AMAZING ANECDOTES. However awful, you can get through any experience if you imagine yourself, in the future, telling your friends about it as they scream, with increasing disbelief, ‘NO! NO!’ Even when Jesus was on the cross, I bet He was thinking, ‘When I rise in three days, the disciples aren’t going to believe this when I tell them about it.’
“Babyiest, see as many sunrises and sunsets as you can. Run across roads to smell fat roses. Always believe you can change the world – even if it’s only a tiny bit, because every tiny bit needed someone who changed it. Think of yourself as a silver rocket – use loud music as your fuel; books like maps and co-ordinates for how to get there. Host extravagantly, love constantly, dance in comfortable shoes, talk to Daddy and Nancy about me every day and never, ever start smoking. It’s like buying a fun baby dragon that will grow and eventually burn down your f***ing house.
3524 Notes/ Hide
- dougcmatthews likes this
- bckybrrnes likes this
- aylasmiler reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- cside likes this
- highendwhore likes this
- cerezaaa91 reblogged this from inkpenpencil
- erikamaxton likes this
- ohwellnothinginterestinghere likes this
- ellehcormarieart likes this
- waitsrsly reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- ellieispepperpotts likes this
- shandreyna reblogged this from brouhahadreamer and added:
- stevebucky likes this
- gentleonmymind reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- aimeeadele reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- dratinix likes this
- bobbiejo1 reblogged this from endlessandsinging
- endlessandsinging reblogged this from legallyblained
- lookclickenjoy reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- unbanana likes this
- emmatrixlastrange reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- as-straight-as-an-eight reblogged this from amysantiaghost
- fiacla reblogged this from brouhahadreamer and added:
- be-a-burning-star likes this
- romanteek likes this
- bowlofluckycharms likes this
- scullysdesk likes this
- hey-boo-radley reblogged this from legallyblained
- muchadoaboutyou likes this
- amysantiaghost reblogged this from legallyblained
- fangirlingpsychmajor likes this
- legallyblained reblogged this from legallyblained
- felixfelicislucky reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- f0re-v-er reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- f0re-v-er likes this
- bodiefox reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- flowerchildannabelle likes this
- lost--property likes this
- nebnebis reblogged this from brouhahadreamer and added:
- theroadsidecoyote likes this
- canoodlingklaine reblogged this from legallyblained
- fallinginhope98 reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- oceanofrelief reblogged this from legallyblained
- jumpinapudd1e likes this
- art-of-shade reblogged this from legallyblained
- art-of-shade likes this
- samwilsonisahero reblogged this from legallyblained