My posthumous advice for my daughter
‘Nine times out of ten, you probably aren’t having a full-on nervous breakdown – you just need a cup of tea and a biscuit’
My daughter is about to turn 13 and I’ve been smoking a lot recently, and so – in the wee small hours, when my lungs feel like there’s a small mouse inside them, scratching to get out – I’ve thought about writing her one of those “Now I’m Dead, Here’s My Letter Of Advice For You To Consult As You Continue Your Now Motherless Life” letters. Here’s the first draft. Might tweak it a bit later. When I’ve had another fag.
“Dear Lizzie. Hello, it’s Mummy. I’m dead. Sorry about that. I hope the funeral was good – did Daddy play Don’t Stop Me Now by Queen when my coffin went into the cremator? I hope everyone sang along and did air guitar, as I stipulated. And wore the stick-on Freddie Mercury moustaches, as I ordered in the ‘My Funeral Plan’ document that’s been pinned on the fridge since 2008, when I had that extremely self-pitying cold.
“Look – here are a couple of things I’ve learnt on the way that you might find useful in the coming years. It’s not an exhaustive list, but it’s a good start. Also, I’ve left you loads of life-insurance money – so go hog wild on eBay on those second-hand vintage dresses you like. You have always looked beautiful in them. You have always looked beautiful.
“The main thing is just to try to be nice. You already are – so lovely I burst, darling – and so I want you to hang on to that and never let it go. Keep slowly turning it up, like a dimmer switch, whenever you can. Just resolve to shine, constantly and steadily, like a warm lamp in the corner, and people will want to move towards you in order to feel happy, and to read things more clearly. You will be bright and constant in a world of dark and flux, and this will save you the anxiety of other, ultimately less satisfying things like ‘being cool’, ‘being more successful than everyone else’ and ‘being very thin’.
“Second, always remember that, nine times out of ten, you probably aren’t having a full-on nervous breakdown – you just need a cup of tea and a biscuit. You’d be amazed how easily and repeatedly you can confuse the two. Get a big biscuit tin.
“Three – always pick up worms off the pavement and put them on the grass. They’re having a bad day, and they’re good for… the earth or something (ask Daddy more about this; am a bit sketchy).
“Four: choose your friends because you feel most like yourself around them, because the jokes are easy and you feel like you’re in your best outfit when you’re with them, even though you’re just in a T-shirt. Never love someone whom you think you need to mend – or who makes you feel like you should be mended. There are boys out there who look for shining girls; they will stand next to you and say quiet things in your ear that only you can hear and that will slowly drain the joy out of your heart. The books about vampires are true, baby. Drive a stake through their hearts and run away.
“Stay at peace with your body. While it’s healthy, never think of it as a problem or a failure. Pat your legs occasionally and thank them for being able to run. Put your hands on your belly and enjoy how soft and warm you are – marvel over the world turning over within, the brilliant meat clockwork, as I did when you were inside me and I dreamt of you every night.
“Whenever you can’t think of something to say in a conversation, ask people questions instead. Even if you’re next to a man who collects pre-Seventies screws and bolts, you will probably never have another opportunity to find out so much about pre-Seventies screws and bolts, and you never know when it will be useful.
“This segues into the next tip: life divides into AMAZING ENJOYABLE TIMES and APPALLING EXPERIENCES THAT WILL MAKE FUTURE AMAZING ANECDOTES. However awful, you can get through any experience if you imagine yourself, in the future, telling your friends about it as they scream, with increasing disbelief, ‘NO! NO!’ Even when Jesus was on the cross, I bet He was thinking, ‘When I rise in three days, the disciples aren’t going to believe this when I tell them about it.’
“Babyiest, see as many sunrises and sunsets as you can. Run across roads to smell fat roses. Always believe you can change the world – even if it’s only a tiny bit, because every tiny bit needed someone who changed it. Think of yourself as a silver rocket – use loud music as your fuel; books like maps and co-ordinates for how to get there. Host extravagantly, love constantly, dance in comfortable shoes, talk to Daddy and Nancy about me every day and never, ever start smoking. It’s like buying a fun baby dragon that will grow and eventually burn down your f***ing house.
3406 Notes/ Hide
- dosomethingpretttywhileyoucan likes this
- wimbly-wombly reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- shutterinah likes this
- fierceandforemost likes this
- 171gifsofficial likes this
- hurrayforthemadness likes this
- anniesthesia likes this
- ameliamh reblogged this from opiumblues
- butterflybleu reblogged this from carlytenney
- sandravonne likes this
- specialagenthagens likes this
- inkpenpencil likes this
- carlytenney reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- erikamaxton likes this
- julia22rose reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- peashoes likes this
- originalgabreezy likes this
- originalgabreezy reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- zstartswriting likes this
- wearelivinginadenofthieves likes this
- sallyelaine likes this
- stubbornly-euphoric reblogged this from curious-earth
- donnaandwords reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- donna-andwords likes this
- lizzletini reblogged this from brouhahadreamer and added:
- jon-stewarts reblogged this from solitudeforsale
- solitudeforsale reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- andthatwastheend reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- pecosamocosa reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- jeffsgoldenbloom likes this
- heartlikethunder reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- szepilona likes this
- niceredsocks likes this
- eternallysmilingly reblogged this from brouhahadreamer and added:
- curious-earth reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- adele-music likes this
- 4ever-floridian reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- clairesclicksfacts reblogged this from brouhahadreamer and added:
- cheekbonesandcollaredcoats likes this
- peterpaaaan reblogged this from secondtothe-right
- peterpaaaan likes this
- secondtothe-right reblogged this from cupkacie
- jadey-fourwhye likes this
- myt0xicvalentine likes this
- thewanderingbishop reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- thewanderingbishop likes this
- reb-e-cca likes this
- oneandonlylonely reblogged this from brouhahadreamer
- bisteccafloria likes this
- gracielizabethhh reblogged this from legallyblained